THE SOUTH COAST OF JAMAICA
The South Coast of Jamaica, and more specifically St. Elizabeth, is a little known tourism relative of Ocho Rios, Montego Bay and Negril. This area is diverse in climate and topography having arid beach terrain rising on up to rainforests and unexplored mountains. Here is my “10 FAVORITE DESTINATIONS” on Jamaica’s South Coast. I will divide them into two categories (five in each). You will see some overlapping each other but I assure you, each is somehow significantly different in experience.
Lover’s Leap, St Elizabeth
- Y.S. FALLS – Privately Owned. Considered Jamaica’s Second best Waterfall.
- BLACK RIVER SAFARI – Pontoon boat up Jamaica’s Longest River. Crocodiles and various species of bird life. Very Comfortable.
- APPLETON RUM TOURS – Sample various Rums and Specialty Drinks. Witness the Distilling Process. Informative tour.
- TREASURE BEACH – A spot where Fishing is still a way of life and tourists are welcome. Little rain falls here so Sunny Days are “Just another day on the Beach.” Good Restaurants in area.
- LOVER’S LEAP – Good Restaurant perched above the beach some 1600′ below. Visitors welcome on the verandah. Nice place for a spectacular sunset or a moonlight proposal.
- BILLY’S BAY – A lesser-known neighbor of Treasure Beach but will soon be a well-known tourist spot with addition of more small rentals.
- BLACK RIVER SAFARI – This time in a local wooden fishing boat. Add to the adventure and take one from Billy’s Bay or Treasure Beach!
- ACCOMPONG TOWN – Meet the Maroons in their hometown. Museum and tour provided by trained guides. Spectacular hikes into the Cockpit Country. Learn about herbal medicines. Nice.
- LITTLE OCHI – A restaurant near Alligator Pond, Little Ochi has a wide reputation as serving the best Lobster Dinner in Jamaica! Nice Place, Nice People!
- APPLE VALLEY PARK – A “REAL” Jamaican Place to have a good time. Waterfalls, fishing and boating ponds, swimming pools and a lot more! Don’t expect to see any tourists here! Lots of Kids!
The South Coast of Jamaica has something for everyone. I hope this list will help you decide to make this area your next travel destination!