R&B singer Chris Brown’s period of probation for assaulting his then-girlfriend Rihanna six years ago has ended.
At a hearing in a Los Angeles court the singer hugged his lawyer after a judge said he had completed community service requirements and closed the case.
“IM OFF PROBATION!!!!!!!! Thank the Lord!!!!!!” he tweeted after leaving the court, while his lawyer Mark Geragos said: “I couldn’t be more delighted,” adding that Friday’s hearing was “a monumental feat”.
Brown had pleaded guilty to the 2009 attack and had been under supervision following the assault that took place hours before the US Grammy Awards.
The attack led to immediate fallout for Brown, although his career has partially rebounded and he went on to win a Grammy Award three years after the attack.
But in 2013 he struggled to complete his community service obligations and his probation was revoked after he performed a show in California without permission.
Later that year, he hit a man outside a Washington hotel and was charged with assault and ordered into rehab. But he was dismissed for breaking its rules and he spent two-and-a-half months in custody.
He also said he was “eternally grateful” that Rihanna has forgiven him for assaulting her.
“I just tried my best to be the best man I could be over the years and just show her how remorseful and sorry I was for the incident,” Brown told Ryan Seacrest on his US radio show.
“That time was probably the worst part of my life,” he said.
“Being at that young age I can tell you I was arrogant and definitely hotheaded.
“Everybody has a temper, but for me it was not knowing how to control it when I thought I had the world in my hands.”